In subsequent e-mail conversations over the next two weeks, Lady J initially agreed to bring her to another vet for a second opinion if Lele did not get better. However, a few days later, Lady J e-mailed to inform us that she did not have the capability to take care of Lele and decided to let Lele go to end her suffering. One of our volunteers informed Lady J that HOPE would take over the case, and to not end Lele's life yet. Although our volunteer managed to contact her in time, we found out that Lady J's mother was already on the way to the vet to put Lele down. We rushed to mobilize volunteers to pick Lele up and bring her to one of our vets.
|Volunteer, Buven, collecting Lele from her family who gave her up|
|Lele's owner handing her to us|
|Lele sick at the vet|
We contacted Lele's family and insisted that they visited her. We felt it would be a pity to put Lele down, but we knew that Lele was approaching her final hours. We believed it was important for Lele to have her family with her. That night, Lele's family came to visit her, but the mood was not a solemn one. Instead, there were smiles and laughter as if it was a joyous occasion. On that very night, poor Lele had 3 seizures within a few hours. Although it was in the wee hours of the morning, we felt that Lele shouldn't be left alone at the vet so plans were made for a fellow volunteer to take Lele home first thing in the morning as Lady J was reluctant to bring Lele home for the weekend. Before morning came, sweet Lele passed away. It was as if she was contented to have had her family visit her one final time. Such is the loyalty of a dog, despite knowing that her family had given up on her.
The vet bills and cremation were paid by Hope Dog Rescue. Support our work so that we may continue to help more dogs in need.
Written by Jasmine Chng
Thankfully, two of our volunteers, Annie and Buven, happened to be in the vicinity and chanced upon our group message for volunteers to retrieve Lele and bring her to the vet. It was a long wait at the vet as we did not have any appointment booked. As we were waiting, Lele was crying out with such pain that we couldn’t bear to see her in such a condition. We decided that we could no longer wait patiently as Lele's pain was reaching unbearable levels for her. Buven approached the vet tech and based on Lele's condition, they took her in for an examination by the vet immediately. As we waited outside, the vet ran multiple tests on Lele, and we were told that the x-rays indicated that she also had spinal problems, and the blood test showed that her liver was extremely swollen.